Monday, July 9, 2012

Extinguisher

I'm going to jump around the book a little bit instead of writing simply about it chronologically.

On the first pages, pages 58-59, of chapter four, the bottom of the page has an interesting simile:

"When the sun sank, darkness dropped on the island like an extinguisher and soon the shelters were full of restlessness, under the remote stars."

"like an extinguisher"  We (you and me, my readers) immediately visualize a fire extinguisher: the first image in my mind is red, cylindrical, with a black tube, fits in hands, bursts of white clouds directed at flames - this image does not fit within the context of its scene/paragraph.  This simile is describing a sunset.  This made me think - the copyright for LOTF is 1954.  Ahh, let us put this image within its historical context!

William Golding is a British author.  The conditions in England during the Great Depression, World War II, and the recovery from both disasters took a heavy toll on the citizens of the British Isles: unemployment, bombings, food shortages . . . An individual living during these times would most likely be very familiar with and a consistent user of candles.  A candle does not require electricity, something in short supply during this period of time.  So I re-thought the simile/image.  I have seen devices used to snuff a candle.



As a teacher, I am compelled to share the educational materials I come across.  Here is a frustratingly rewarding video (2 min) of a robot extinguishing a candle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh1l5kOWrqo

But I must disappoint you as I have been disappointed in my search for a YouTube video that would somehow effectively demonstrate the change from light to dark, as the hood of the antique candle extinguisher slowly shrouded what the candle's flame illuminated and could be seen.  I guess you will have to imagine this simile on your own.  If this doesn't work, watch the sun set one day (and hang around to admire dusk, too).

1 comment:

  1. Nice site! Here are a few valuable tips and ways to keep your home and workshop safe from fires. Prevention is the best method so keep these things in mind.

    Fire Extinguisher Training in Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete