Monday, July 9, 2012

Do We Ever Learn Piggy's Real Name?

I scribbled this exact question in my book at the top of page 19, probably out of frustration as a reader rooting for the character of Piggy.  I mean, you know he is important to the meaning of this novel by this point in the book.  Perhaps Piggy is an "anti-hero"?

Anti-hero: A central character in a work of literature who lacks traditional heroic qualities such as courage, physical prowess, and fortitude. Anti-heros typically distrust conventional values and are unable to commit themselves to any ideals. They generally feel helpless in a world over which they have no control. Anti-heroes usually accept, and often celebrate, their positions as social outcasts.  Quoted from: http://www.gale.cengage.com/free_resources/glossary/

I also must scream out - why did 'so-and-so" tell Ralph that his nickname was Piggy?!?!???

Ralph is not afraid to make use of this info to his advantage.

Previous book check:  In Night, was Elie Wiesel an anti-hero?  In Animal Farm, was Benjamin the donkey an anti-hero?

1 comment:

  1. Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post
    is amazing, great written and come with almost all significant infos.
    I would like to peer more posts like this .
    http://www.zikinstore.com/blog/18400/learning-how-to-receive-instagram-followers-in-addition-to-buy-instagram-li/
    Also see my web site - webgrades

    ReplyDelete